Monday, October 18, 2010

Being on my best behaviour.... and that is really difficult for me

So, I started my new job today,  Slaps' pearls of wisdom, "Be on your best behaviour."  Hmmmm... What 'zacteley does that mean?  Is my best really good enough?  I'm going to give it a whirl.

The job is great - the people are nice and professional.  And get this... they trust their employees.  What a novel concept!  From what I see, everyone is happy and working hard.  They actually gave me a laptop yesterday and I didn't have to sleep with anyone (you KNOW who you are....) or beg or fill out 800,000 forms.  I didn't have to stick my middle finger on any stupid finger print time and attendance (also known as T&A in these here parts) machine.  Trust; it does a body good.

I still have a mobile phone in my contract with my former employer - and in the 4 years that I worked there, had never received one.  Dudes, I want my frickin mobile phone.  Go git one.  Carrefours has them for like 8 KD.  I just WANT ONE.

Ok, back to DG mischief.  So... I'm on my way into the elevator with my NewBossLady (NBL until I find a better name) as she is showing me around/introducing me to people.  Out walks a BaGORGEOUS man, smiles at me, and continues to smile at me all the way down the hall.  I'm purty sure NBL (that so doesn't fit her, gotta do better) didn't notice.  Why is it that the other 365 days of the year, not one man notices me and then at the most inconvenient possible moment, there one is...

Sidebar:  I wouldn't even write about this, but right now, things are on the down slope of the roller coaster (yes again -shut up) with The Man.  How much BMC-ing can one possibly do?  Lead a horse to water and all that BS... I digress.

I was on my best behaviour at my new job.

Did anyone invite me out to congratulate me on my new job?  Phuckno.  Did The Man send me say... a hamburger from 6alabat.com?  Phuckno.  Oh well.  To think when I was younger and cuter, men were all over me and I never paid any attention to them and now this.  I used to get diamonds and cars (I shit you not).  Now I can't rate a hamburger.  That just sucks.

So yeah, I am staying in Kuwait for a leetle bit longer (no thanks to hamburglers).

Thanks so much to all the peeps in virtual reality who showed me so much kindness, compassion, and just plain friendliness while I was going through The Ordeal.  Thank you, GFS, for giving me an outstanding rate on storage and shipment of my household goods (did you know it is only like 30KD/mo to store yo'shit?).  Thank you to those who asked if they could buy my electronic appliances 2 days after I lost my job (that's just some booshet because friends wouldn't do that... and yes, I'm still miffed).  Thank you, Butterfly, for doing my hair and pulling me out of the brown funk I was in.

By the by:   I signed the offer letter with the new company THREE DAYS after departing the doors of the old company. It is official:   I'm not a loser (well, okay, job-wise anyhoo).  And getting terminated helps you build character!


-

5 comments:

Snow said...

Congrats on the new job!! Maybe you'll get another new sumpin' too ;)

visakar said...

Congrats DG on your new job and glad that you are staying back :)

Expat and the City said...

Congratulations on your new job. I'm glad you will stay in Kuwait so we can all enjoy reading about your new adventures. :)

Anonymous said...

And you really need help building character? Congrats on the new job and I'm not at all surprised you have stayed.

Anonymous said...

What's with the GP Letters?! We have an employee that's leaving and flying on, No a US arilines, nor Kuwait Airways, so how in the world do we get a GP Letter so this guy can get home?