Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Steppin out with soldiers

I had a lovely evening last night at the Movenpick, Bidaa. I was there for work-related purposes and I was running late to meet a friend, so I asked him to meet me there for dinner. We sat outside; he had sheesha, I had the buffet which was delicious as always. They do a nice job there. The weather was perfect and we were enjoying some quiet conversation.... until....

Hailag-ness arrived at the table right next to us. First, there was no reason for them to sit smack-dab next to us; they could have chosen a table further away. Two middle-aged women and two younger women arrived and started cackling like a bunch of witches. It would have been bearable had it been positive cackling, but these ones were talking loudly and rudely about everyone - including US! The two older ones turned right around and stared at me and said something about Kuwaiti men with foreign women. I gave them my best, "I'm about to slap you" look. Then, one of them picks up the phone and starts shouting at someone (who I can only guess is her maid), "Ya hamara. Enti ghabiya?" over and over again. It was embarrassing. Bitch, take some Prozac and get happy because quite obviously, you are NEVER gonna get laid.

Why are people stupid?

Other than that, it was a lovely evening.

I've been so busy lately that I haven't had too much time to post.

I went to the AUSA banquet. OMG - I had a great time and met so many truly kind, decent people - including the brigadier general who was sitting right next to me. He is one of the top commanders at Arifjan and couldn't be a nicer person. He actually hugged me when we were leaving.

I think that the military in Kuwait is becoming kinder and gentler. I've noticed that lately. There seems to be a new breed of soldier in town. They no longer just stare from across the room, but come over and ask questions and get to know people. I can't tell you what a difference that makes to me personally being in the line of business I'm in. We want to get to know them and learn about their lives too. If they don't talk - we can't know. What is wrong with seeing soldiers for the people they are and not just for the uniform? The US government has been spouting bullshit for years about "winning hearts and minds" and they did very little even to show that - from my personal experience - to other Americans. SMILE - it doesn't hurt.

Anyways, I fell in love (like family) with several of the very high ranking military officers and they were genuine, kind, and sincerely cared about the troops in their command. They talked openly about problems on the bases and what they were doing to solve them.

I had never been to an event at Arayya before; although I have been invited to many. There were approximatley 700 people there and every table had a candelabra with white and green flowers. The food was phenomenal and the venue was gorgeous. Everybody was in a good mood. Next time I get invited to something there, I'm definately going.

I took home one of the center pieces from our table. My land-lady has had problems with the water in the villa and has been running up and down the stairs trying to get it fixed for days. It was mother's day, so I brought it to her. She doesn't seem like a very gracious person; I don't understand why people don't express gratitude. There is a lot of power in being grateful to others.

I don't like formal parties very much. I'm not at ease anywhere that I can't wear jeans (although you probably wouldn't know that if you knew me). I get nervous in big crowds. I'm not a competitive kinda girl and all that fancy stuff just spells one-upmanship from my perspective.

I used to own a lot of formal gowns; now I own one. It is bright red silk with spagetti straps and it is quite low in the front. I wear it to every Kuwaiti wedding I get invited to. Why? Because I'm usually the only blonde invited and often one of the few who doesn't wear hejab. So, when the groom's party comes in, there I sit - a blonde in a red dress - in the middle of a sea of black abayas. Bada BING. Forget all that fancy dancin for the perspective mother-in-laws; not one of those men doesn't turn his head to look in my direction! Marketing, baybeee. "Who was that blonde in the red dress?" Oh, that was DESERT GIRL. Do I worry about people seeing me over and over again in the same dress? Hell no. That's called "branding".

6 comments:

Purgatory said...

"I think that the military in Kuwait is becoming kinder and gentle"

umm, am I the only one who reads that sentence differently?

Desert Girl said...

Purg - I don't get it.

Purgatory said...

You forgot about the Don't Ask, don't tell thing ;p

I imagine them all like Jack from Will&Grace.

Anonymous said...

Heheheh! ur hilarious! :) - NBZ

Desert Girl said...

Um Purg - Perhaps in (another) Army, but I would never refer to any of the US soldiers I've met to be that way. That's the absolute truth. I'm referring to them being nicer people in general these days rather than the people I met before who appeared to think that it was a national secret if they discussed anything of a personal nature - like caring for other humans, etc. No need to read between the lines because there's nothing there.

Lamya said...

Branding? Lmao. You go 'blonde in the red dress' :) *cheers for DG from the middle of the sea of black abayas while wearing a mickey mouse pyjamas*

Thank u DG, once again, u make a crappy week seem a whole lot better with ur insights.