Thursday, February 15, 2007

Wake up and smell the chapatti

Here’s what women hate: being called or SMSed at 8:00 pm on Valentine’s evening by a guy who is supposed to care about you to ask, “Whatcha doin?” That is just plain phucked up. If dude hasn’t noticed the red hearts, the teddy bears, the bagazillion florist shops with flowers lined up and down the street. . . something is just WRONG. Here is my question to dude: What do you THINK I’m doing???? Obviously, this is someone who just doesn’t give a rats-furry-ass about me (and most likely does about someone else), but still…. How could it be possible to be that incredibly thoughtless? And yet, oddly, it seemed to rattle his cage that I was out somewhere. Everybody I know makes plans weeks in advance on Valentine's Day (even if they plan to stay home). The whole country was outside last night at 8:00!!! Couples were everywhere. Love was in the air. They call it the “day of love” not the “day of bullshit”. In the US, it is as important as senior prom. Like New Year's Eve: You just don’t call up that night sayin, “Whatcha doin?” Noooooooooooooooooooooo.

And just when I thought he had redeemed himself last week. My bad.

I sent flowers to my girlfriends yesterday (and my mom) who I knew would probably not get flowers from other people (MEN) – and not just the regular ones either: the big, heart-shaped over-the-top kind (the kind I would like to get). I got all the women in my office candy. (I have found that is really a great way to get the office bitches to do things for you all year long.) Then, the stupid men in my office started asking, “Where’s mine.” At which point I ask, “Inta sej Kuwaiti?”

Bunny took The Romanian and I to dinner (oh my – plans in advance!) at Sakura which (Purgy this is for you) was the worst dining experience I have ever had anywhere. It looked like a goat rodeo: waiters and waitresses running all over the place – and yelling at each other; customers complaining (some very loudly) because they weren’t getting their food or their checks. We were there for 2 ½ hours - and I have wastah there. All of this – and they charged a set menu holiday price of 16 kd per person. Bunny was so cool about all of it. He didn’t go Bedouin on anyone. He was in a great mood the entire time. The Romanian hadn’t seen him in a long time and we had a lot of catching up to do. I’ve missed Bunny. We had a very romantic dinner three-some going on which several men there seemed to envy tremendously. tee hee.

When I got home from work yesterday, someone had left a single red rose on my doorstep. I knew it had to be from my friend, Jamal. He never fails to remember Valentine’s day by leaving something small (and THOUGHTFUL) for me. We have been friends for forever and ever and ever. I hardly ever see him – maybe once every year or something – but he is one of those people who is always there like an angel. There are never any expectations – just little acts of kindness. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy.

I have a very busy weekend – lots of invitations – and I’m already anticipating the chapatti and eggs on my way home from the camp in Julai’a at 5:30 am tomorrow (only to go to another camp in Abdali at 11:30 am). I love this time of year. There is so much to do.

3 comments:

Purgatory said...

I see the term bunny reappearing in your posts.

Qa6Wa said...

i love chappatti

Desert Girl said...

Purg - Fondly. :)