Sunday, December 17, 2006

Don't Mess With the Fish!

Slapperella and I were driving along last night on our way to dinner at a new (to us) restaurant we have been trying to get to for the past 2 weeks. We were talking about the recent course of events in my life and she said, “Ok, when you get back from your trip, I don’t want to hear any more about your luck.” I agreed; new year, new luck. I had fish on my mind.

But you know - you just can't have a conversation like that without tempting fate.

When we entered the restaurant, it was kind of weird – there were a bunch of white dudes standing there staring at us and the tables were empty. When all of a sudden, out of nowhere, walks my former boss. It turned out it was a dude’s retirement party and former boss said, “Stay. It’s free.” (Which basically sums up his collective mentality on everything. He still owes me precisely 32 KD from my final paycheck - which is still gnawing at me like a doooda because 1) I’m sure he did it on purpose to save some money and B) he did NOT “forget” to give it to me.)

What were the chances of the restaurant being hired out for a private party on the very night that we finally got there?
What were the chances of ME actually knowing someone and having that someone rope me into staying?

After an hour of standing there (neither of us had eaten all day and it was already 8pm), smiling at people that I didn’t know and making small talk (while my smile muscles hurt and my stomach grumbled and no end was in sight), my L4 and L5’s starting hurting. I looked over at Slapperella who had her “intellectual flirt” on with a nice guy they had just introduced us to. I can tell her “intellectual flirt” because of the body posture and the way she tilts her head and yet she is captivatingly flirty at the same time. Most intriguing. Anyhoo, it was time to make a dash (into the pouring rain). I couldn’t wait for food any longer. Since we were of only a few women, I don’t think they really wanted us to go, but alas… dash we did. The kicker was that the fish had been staring at me from under the ice the entire time…just waiting….

It totally pissed me off. It was The Universe – “Game ON” again. We ended up having dinner at Taal – which is a great date place (very nice atmosphere), but not with your closest friend. The waiter was smiley and chatty and genuinely nice. I wasn’t in a mood. “BRING ME FISH!!!” I did get fish, but not really the kind I was after.

No one can have a conversation with me about my luck because it will just work against them. So Slaps, if you are reading this, let’s just keep it an unspoken agreement that yes – my luck will change in 2007.

3 comments:

Purgatory said...

Ok I must have missed it but why is she called Slapperella?

Also, who eats Indian that late in the evening!

Desert Girl said...

She is kind of a cross between a slapper and cinderella (phuckable princess, so to speak). LOL

I wanted fish, ok? What do you mean "late in the evening"? It was 8:00. What are you - turning American or something?

SnoCone said...

You should do something New Agey like clean your aura and burn sage. Failing that, party like it's 1989 and keep your fingers crossed. I think the 80s must have been nice. It's a decade that smacks of the juvenile. 29 Jumpstreet and all that teased hair.