Saturday, June 24, 2006

WTF Kuwait?

Last night, June 23, 2006 at approximately 8:00 pm, H. Al-Shammari's 9 year old daughter walked to the co-op close to their home in Mubarak Al-Kabeer (Block 3). A group of boys was outside the co-op and one of them threw a bottle at the girl, hitting her on the head. She was taken to the hospital, her head shaved, and she was given stitches. Mr. Shammari doesn't want to report the incident to the police because he knows they will do nothing.
____________________________

Last Saturday 17th June I was driving past Salwa coop on the opposite side of the road at about 6:15pm. A group of at least six 10 to 12 year old Kuwaiti boys in dishdashas on my side of the street were hanging around under a large tree. As I passed by a stone hit my car. I immediately turned around the traffic circle there and went into the police station. An officer on duty said there was nothing he could do, that school was out and this group were in trouble morning and afternoon.

This is the second incident that has happened to me this year in Salwa. I was at the coop several months ago when a group of youths were throwing stones outside the coop door. I was pushing a trolley towards my vehicle when one of them threw a 7 up bottle at me. It didnt hit me. It smashed on the ground in front of me, but again as I was right next to the police station I walked in. I saw the boys head towards the clinic through a back alley so I asked the police officer to walk round and apprehend them from the front of the clinic. Two of the boys were sitting in the alley and were asked by the officer to come back to the station. They denied it was either of them that threw the bottle, but the officer called in the father of one boy who lived in a nearby street. The father said they are only young and "never mind"!

I agreed they might be young, but if they get away with throwing bottles today who knows what they might do when they are older.

As they were brushing me off, I called my Kuwaiti son who is over 6ft tall. When they saw him pull up in front of the station in his jeep, the officer started to joke with the father and asked if he was my "friend". First my son told off the boys, then he spoke to the father, and then the police officer! Not very satisfactory.


_______________________________________________
From: British Embassy
Dear Wardens

Jamie Bowden, the Deputy Head of Mission, called on Brig Yousef Al-Seoudi, Assistant Under Secretary for Public Security Affairs, to discuss the Embassy's worries about threats of violence and stone throwing by young Kuwaiti men against British citizens in desert areas of Mangaf, Fahaheel and Egaila. Jamie handed over a formal note on the subject.

Jamie talked through in detail the most serious incident of which we are aware, when a British citizen was stoned and had knives pulled on him. He said that we were also aware of other incidents. He asked that the Ministry increase the police presence in the area and consider a wider plan to tackle the problem.

Brig Yousef said that the police were aware of the problem posed by young men hanging around in these desert areas. Since early June they had instituted patrols in these areas. But it would not be possible to completely end the risk of incidents like these. Regrettably, he had to advise that people should not go to these areas after dark, and as far as possible when they went to them during the day they should go in at least pairs.

Brig Yousef also said that it was essential that any incidents were reported immediately to the police. Otherwise it was difficult for them to take further action to deal with the problem. Jamie said that we had already passed this advice out through the wardens' network.

Jamie pointed out that the emergency number for the police, 777, was not always answered immediately. The Ministry of Information have given us the following direct lines to police stations in Mangaf, Mahboula, Fahaheel and Egaila:

Mangaf/Abu Halifa Police Station: 371 4753
Mahboula/Fintas Police Station: 390 3744
Fahaheel Police Station: 391 0014
Egaila/Regga Police Station: 394 0700

Please do report immediately and in detail any incidents to the police and to your warden.
________________________________________

Desert Girl comment: You know when this will get some attention? When one of these boys is shot by someone, vigilante-style. .... and I will laugh.

11 comments:

SpiKeY said...

u know what these lil kids are called !!!! dont make me start..i live in salwa and i have to see those rascels sittin at the "baqala" every single day...sum nice thots of running over them comes on my mind everyday :P.....

EXzombie said...

well those 3agad should be treated in the right way.... that is to kick the shit out of them on sight......!!!

Anonymous said...

i once saw a kid use a slingshot on a maid in our neighborhood, i asked if i can see it..he gave it to me..i picked up a good sized rock and thwapped him a good on in the thigh at point blank. i watched him limp off screaming and crying as he bled pretty heavily.

i never saw him again. *shrugs*

call me cold-blooded if ya want.

error said...

buy a paintball gun and shoot back at them heh

Desert Girl said...

Mini - I think I love you (sigh)...

The Shammari guy drove around for FOUR hours looking for the kids - and it's lucky he didn't find them because one of them would be dead.

I am one of those people who would kick the shit out of the kids - I don't care how old they are.

Anonymous said...

DG...lets tag team babe..i'll knock them down and you do the typical ghetto chick thang: kick em in the side and scream "yew stay DAHWN beeyatch!"

how's that?

Oh..i think i love me too..*sighs*

Desert Girl said...

Mini - you stole the words right from my mouth! But, I must do so wearing a halter top, bigass hoop earings and sportin a gold front tooth. I got my can o'whoop ass right heyah!

Anonymous said...

lol damn...my kinda woman ;)

Q8Sultana said...

I think its the parents fault. If they dont take care of their kids, and raise them righ, why do they have them?
Sometimes castration doesn't seem such a bad idea...

Desert Girl said...

Sultana - I agree. Unfortunately, most of the parents haven't been raised right either, so it is a viscious circle. Maybe someone (the government perhaps???) could create a parenting skills center and give us all a break!

Anonymous said...

There are 'family' counseling centers all over the country.

Deserted of course.

I've been working on a plan to open up a different kind of care center though, still in it's infancy due to the elections.

Hopefully when all this political backstabbing is over. I'll start the project rolling. :)