Saturday, January 28, 2006

Yippee! Sabah Al-Ahmad!

I am so glad that Sabah Al-Ahmad is the Emir. You go, boy! I guess a lot of Kuwait was suffering from the pucker factor considering the alternative. I know I was. And now… the birds are singing, the sky is blue… I can't wait to see what is in store. I hope the bedoon issue is resolved and soon. Let's get on with it.

Did you see Sara Al-Haji's story in Bazaar about what new years resolutions she would like to see Kuwait make (and keep)? A synopsis (paraphrased by me):

I promise to clear the garbage off Kuwait's streets
I will plant more foliage on major roads and roundabouts
I promise never again to spend money on pathetic electric palm trees (let's all thank Dr. Jassem Al-Mudhaf for that one)
I promise to sort out traffic problems and the disgraceful state of our roads
I promise not to allow construction companies to screw me over by doing a lousy job (paraphrased that one big time)
I will encourage authorities to foster a team environment in government and business with lessons learned.
I will recognize outstanding Kuwaitis
I promise to educate people on the dangers of living close to high voltage towers
I promise to enforce traffic laws with stricter fines and penalties.
I promise a public awareness campaign on child safety seats.

I like Sara. Haven't met her, but she's a good writer and right on point.

I would add a few:
To weed out corruption in both the government and private sector and adding laws to enforce and penalize organizations that are continual violators.
Labor law reform and enforcement. In conjunction with this, a centralized and friendly labor education office for information and assistance (in several languages)
Updating family law and creating safe shelters for women and their children.

6 comments:

Purgatory said...

where is your anyhoos!

MiYaFuSHi said...

Sounds good but has no point if not put into practice.

Spontaneousnessity said...

Yippee back at ya =} we're glad that's for sure..

I second MiYaFuSHi, it all sounds great but this is all just plain talk until it's put to action, we'll admire it when we see it =}

Desert Girl said...

So ANYHOOOOOO...

That is why I wrote "would like to see" and I threw in "...and enforce". Yeah, nothing without action.

Desert Girl said...

Carpe Diem - You may. :) Thanks for your comments.

Unknown said...

I loved that article :)