Monday, November 28, 2005

Mashallah, Mashallah, Mashallah

hampSo, like…. I haven't written anything in a while because I have become domesticated. I don't know how that happened, really, but September 29th was the date that changed me.

I can't believe that I am going to say this (out loud and in my head), but I have actually started baking – like a Domestic Goddess. I mean, The Man asked me to make an apple pie; and I did. Then, The Man asked me to make Toll House cookies; and I did. He asked me to make coffee in the morning; and I did. All this – without any bitching, moaning, or complaining; I just did it; Totally unlike me. No take-out was involved. We didn't go to any restaurants. I cooked. Me. Alone. No help and nothing was out of a box mix. All of a sudden, I'm Betty Frickin Crocker … and I'm liking it.

What has happened to my world in such a short amount of time? All it took was some (sincere) decency, sweet words, and unselfish acts of kindness. Ah, the world is such a pretty place, isn't it?

Ok… enough Ferdinand stopping to smell the flowers….

I have to tell you about Thanksgiving. The Artist Formerly Known as Sheeshagirl had a Thanksgiving shin-dig (hootinany) at her house. She cooked 2 enormous turkeys, stuffing, sweet potatoes, string beans. I made my mom's famous root veggie puree, cranberry sauce, and baked apples. Most people brought deserts. There was very little alcohol involved which is totally untraditional, but kind of nice (no fist fights on the front lawn or drunken arguments).

There were about 25 people there – mostly new friends from Camp Arifjan or Doha. Naz came with his new bride, Z. Z is an innocent. I don't think she realizes much of what comes out of her mouth until much later. She talks and Naz smiles and sometimes makes strange facial expressions when she's not looking. Sometime after dinner, the conversation came around to matters of mahar (dowry). Z stated very innocently that she was the "cheapest in her family" – sending everybody into new heights of laughter. I don't believe it was what she meant to say. She's just so cute. One of the American guys said that if he had to pay a big mahar to his wife, they'd better put a pole in their bedroom. Z didn't catch that one either. Funny stuff.

I think The Man had a great time too. Everybody else went to different parties after the dinner. We went home because I was falling asleep. How is THAT possible?

13 comments:

Jingoism said...

Shove The Man in front of a mirror and see if he has a reflection.

Q8Sultana said...

Welcome back!

It sounds like you're just really happy :o)
Good lcuk with The Man :o)

Purgatory said...

You have been whipped anywhooo?

U.E. said...

Awwww, WHERE DID MY COMMENT GO!! I HATE THAT. Blah, anyway went something like this...

Sounds serious! ;-) lol I suppose as long as you're happy AND he doesn't take you away from BlogLand all together, we might approve. Hey... where are MY cookies!! (I like walnuts with my chocolate chips)

Tooomz said...

Glad you had a good Thanxgiving and enjoying your time with The Man.

I enjoy being around people like Z. *amuzed*

Unknown said...

Is this the man that was at the Ramadan tent? You bake?!?!?! God, I can't bake anything. Glad Thanksgiving was good! I spent mine with my dad this year and went to that thing at the Sheraton. Was nice.

Yalla I want dessert too. I haven't had apple pie in so long

Desert Girl said...

Jingoism: come to think of it... the neck biting thing.... Let me get a mirror... I have always thought that finding an ideal man was like finding Santa Claus or a smart blonde. tee hee.

Q8sultana: We shall see. Thanks dudette.

Purgatory: Please be more specific as to "whipped"... Yes and no...

Unknown: Ya gotta love those nuts! LOL

Toomz: People like Z give me a reality check. :)

William: Yup. Same Man. Glad you had a nice thanksgiving. Hope to see you soon, my friend.

Jewaira said...

Very nice feel to this post :)

Purgatory said...

you have been domesticated.

Desert Girl said...

Jewaira, I like you, girl. Please say a little prayer for me. I try to see the best and hope it isn't the worst. Maybe I am getting "OLD" and I hope that I am not becoming too cynical, but there is so much bad out there. I just want to find a little good in mankind.

PINKJAWBREAKER said...

YOU'RE A WOMAN its possible . . sometimes i feel there is 6327189 minds inside me ! I go like Hey ladies stop IT !!!!

Anyway most imp thing is that u had a great time :X so do it more often sis . . if u need any reciepes :P its a pleasure

Jewaira said...

I don't know what you're up to but I hope it is all good.
Hope you had a Merry Christmas with your loved ones and do update your blog. I still look out for you :)

Stinni said...

Update, please? Hope you had a merry Christmas. :)