Sunday, October 16, 2005

Gergian, Gergiaaaan….

Yesterday was gergian. Since I am neither Kuwaiti nor a child and could get away with going door-to-door singing (ok, in some neighborhoods that might actually be welcomed) and asking for sweets or money (again… in some neighborhoods….) – yesterday as a special treat I did the following: I dressed up like a ninja chick (tons of eye make-up) with my 2 girlfriends in a non-descript rental car, sporting a sign on the back window that said, "Bad Girl", and proceeded to Kout mall for coffee. Obviously, this was a stupid idea on several levels (wrong, wrong, wrong), but all 3 of us had:

1) nothing to do and were bored sh*&less,
2) were looking for a good belly laugh,
3) were in possession of a non-descript rental car, and
4) were scoping for guys.

We set out in full gear, including the proper scents (bkhoor and dayn al oud), hooker shoes, too much jewelry, etc.

We were immediately met with a delay in our plan: Some woman parked her car next to Romanian's with zero clearance; meaning it was parked up against her car without clearance for Romanian to get hers out without ripping the rear quarter panels off of both cars. I had to call my building harriss. He took one look at me and started laughing. Sheeshagirl told him that we were going to a funeral and that it wasn't funny (making me giggle even harder, but hey – you couldn't tell cause I was ninja-fied). The harriss called over a couple other guys standing there and they literally picked up the back of the other car and moved it out of the way. Very impressive.

So, we were on our way with the air conditioning on high. We got down to Kout and were only followed by 1 car. Kinda lame.

We got out and walked/shuffled into the mall. I had to pee (which is kind of difficult with all that stuff on). Then we went to have juice/coffee. We decided to sit outside to watch the dancing waters. They also had a very good oud player across the water. It was very relaxing and pretty, but damn hot and humid. It is also real hard to get a straw up one of those niqabs. I was sweating most of my eye makeup off. At Costa, we had several tables of admirers, but all of them jailbait (well, maybe not here, but way too young). We sat there for a while, getting some lame Bluetooth messages and then hit the road with "Don't Cha" by the Pussycat Girls blaring at full blast.

The height of the evening came when we saw some young boys whose car had broken down. We came to a screeching halt and stopped to ask them if they needed anything (in Arabic). They were so stunned that none of them spoke; just stared. We floored it and went home.

9 comments:

Q8Sultana said...

Hahahahahahahaaaa
You guys actually wore the niqab and abaya and all?
I've been dyingto try that for ever...
I even have the gear at home, all ready to be worn :o)

This is too funny

Jacqui said...

I actually have that same sign but I am not allowed to put it up on my car :(

"Bad Girl" :(

Oh well at least it was fun :P

Purgatory said...

ur nuts anyhoo.

Delicately Realistic said...

Haha!
My friends have been dieing to do that for years.
Glad someone ended up doing it :)

U.E. said...

Too funny, I'm so sad I didn't go to Kout yesterday. And I was all cabin-feverish and looking for fun too! What's Gergian? Is it like Halloween in the states?? And whats a "harriss", is that like landlord? Help a clueless american out!! Totally love your blog, btw.

Desert Girl said...

Q8sultana: Yeah, we actually wore niqab and abaya and everything. You are more than welcome to come with us on the next go around. We are planning to rent a suburban!

Jackie: I'm sorry to hear that, bad girl! However, I have found that most people don't need to see your sign to realize that you are a bad girl. tee hee.

Purgy: You KNOW it, baybeeeeeeee.

Delicately: DO IT! I don't recommend Ramadan (or anytime hot) for timing. Maybe we will try again on National Day.

As a side-note: I was on the Gulf Road once next to a car with 2 ninja chicks in it; only they didn't turn out to be chicks - they were 2 guys! How funny is THAT?

U.E. said...

Ummm... how did you know they were guys??

Desert Girl said...

Unknown: When I got out of my car to kiss one of them.... duuuh... I heard it speak. :) LOL

Unknown said...

That IS wrong on so many levels but damn is it funny. I could just imagine the looks on the guys faces when you offered help. That would have freaked me out.