Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Distractions

What I want to know is this: Why is it that every short man on every continent in the entire world wants ME? I mean, if the guy is ugly and short, he is twice as likely to seek me out. It happens in nightclubs. It happens on the street. It happens through friends. I am THE Short and Ugly Magnet.

Do you know what "my type" is? Single, 6'4" with a deep voice, sincere laugh, and great teeth. My Type is NEVER what I get.

I am trying to emerge from my funk in various ways. Last night, I decided to do something I am familiar with: Recreational Dating. I went out with a guy from an online service. Yes, ladies and gentlemen; he was short (top of his head at about ear-level to me) AND he was married (although reasonably attractive). Why is it that they always somehow forget to mention on their online profiles that they are married? "It's okay, though, because I want to feel completely free with you." Um... hellooooooooo.... why you not completely free with Mrs. Short Man?

This was almost as bad as the Barbecue Boy saga.

We had a great dinner, however, and he really did try to make me happy (aka pave the way to Getting in My Pants). He took me to Al Boom. I hadn't been there for a long time. Isn't it funny how you always run into old friends and business associates when you are out with someone short and ugly (or just short in this case)? Yes, I saw several rather high-ranking dignitaries at the next table. (Oh God, maybe they didn't recognize me.) Short Man says, "I've seen their pictures in the paper." Well yuh - no duuuuh. Luckily, there was not a photographer in sight.

Which leads me to another topic: Why is it that when Kuwaiti dignitaries are hosting delegations, they don't have a clue about protocol? Last night, the lowest-ranking-Kuwaiti at the table was sending SMS's - paying no attention to the guests. Highest-ranking-Kuwaiti was speaking to 4 other guys in Arabic and laughing it up while the delegation-dudes sat there (sans translator), looking incredibly bored. You would think that by now, someone might have enlisted the use of a protocol attache - maybe someone who knew what the hell he/she was doing! I noticed that they brought 2 very pretty Kuwaiti women with them and one sounded very well educated. Kudos on that point. Several years ago, I hardly ever saw women attending functions with visiting delegations

Do you know what Al-Boom restaurant does now? They give you a 6" nail as a gift as you are leaving. What the phuck is that? A flower would have been nice. They say it is an authentic nail used to make the boom. What I want to know is this: what happens if you are a visiting delegation member (without diplomatic immunity) and you forget to take the 6" nail out of your pocket before returning to your home country? I mean, the restaurant HAS to know that most of the people going there are foreigners. How could you explain that even being in your check-in luggage. "Oh yes, Mr. INS Officer from Homeland Security, this is an authentic boom bolt. I got it after I had dinner in Kuwait...." Things that make you go 'hmmmmmm'.

This goes out to Not_without_my_heels for her comment on the last post about still waiting for the 100 doors to open: One thing I've learned (through a LOT of trial and error) is this: NO ONE is going to market you better than you. You have to pound the pavement, set schedules and goals for yourself, and then go after them. I was out of work once for 8 months here in Kuwait. The only way I made it through was by doing freelance work for many different companies. I networked with people I might not have otherwise. I picked up the Kuwait Pocket Guide and Kuwait Top 100 Lists and sent my resume EVERYWHERE in Kuwait (they list both fax and e-mail addresses for companies). Send, send, and when you are really tired of sending, send some more. Then, try to schedule interviews as often as possible. I tried to schedule 2 per day - even if they were with loser companies (you never know who might be able to refer you to someone else). Find a selling point about yourself that is unique. Be confident. Be friendly. Doors will open. You go, girl.

Some doors have opened for me in the past 2 weeks. I think I will join another company on April Fools' Day (April 1). It is also my Aunt Virginia's birthday (God rest her soul). I always feel that she is looking out for me.

1 comment:

2 Second Club ® said...

wow.. how tall are you though ?? maybe you're taller than average !! hmm..

but you're right.. you should send resume EVERYWHERE.. I know it'll be fine.. you make us proud ok ??